[ExI] hard science

natasha at natasha.cc natasha at natasha.cc
Thu Feb 13 02:05:42 UTC 2014

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Tara Maya
Sent: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 6:30 PM
To: ExI chat list
Subject: Re: [ExI] hard science

On Feb 12, 2014, at 11:17 AM, Ben <bbenzai at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I would assume that, in tens of thousands of years, 'everything is
digitised' would include people, and they'd have forgotten long ago what it
was like to be embodied in frail short-lived biological bodies.

> I'm afraid I can't take seriously any kind of long-term projection where
people are still wandering around in meat ape-suits.

Tara wrote:
"I don't see why. Amoebas are still wandering around in single-cell suits,
despite being immensely older than 10,000 years, and despite the presence of
our exalted selves.

I like you statement about the suits, although if I were an amoeba I'd
prefer a dress because it would be more functional. But if we are making
them better than humans because we don't know if they have a sense of self;
however lengthy the life of this historical hero, does an Amoeba engineer
new tubular pseudopod when one is injured or can it innovate different types
of transport?  If environments become discomforting, can it get alter its
environment to prevent a potential microbial cyst? And lastly, if amoebia
want to engage in sex, can it petition rights for this historical behavior?

Natasha