[ExI] hard science

Ben bbenzai at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 13 17:24:49 UTC 2014

Tara Maya <tara at taramayastales.com> wrote:

 >On Feb 12, 2014, at 11:17 AM, Ben <bbenzai at yahoo.com> wrote:
 >
 >> I would assume that, in tens of thousands of years, 'everything is
digitised' would include people, and they'd have forgotten long ago what
it was like to be embodied in frail short-lived biological bodies.

 >> I'm afraid I can't take seriously any kind of long-term projection
where people are still wandering around in meat ape-suits.

 >I don't see why. Amoebas are still wandering around in single-cell
suits, despite being immensely older than 10,000 years, and despite the
presence of our exalted selves.

 >Not everything old is extinct. Not everything new displaces what it
replaces.

OK, what you say is correct, but not relevant to what I mean.  Let me
rephrase:  I can't take seriously any kind of long-term projection where
the major players are still wandering around in meat ape-suits.

I'm not saying that biological humans as they are now /couldn't/ be
around in thousands of years (there are reasons why they might not be,
but that's another matter), I'm saying that any that are would be
extremely unlikely to have the same status as humans do today, and would
be like amoebas in more ways than one, compared to the beings of
interest that should be around then (unless, of course, something like
Ian M Banks' idea of Sublimation is possible).

Ben Zaiboc