[ExI] The meaning of life (in transhumanism)

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sat Feb 22 09:47:12 UTC 2014

On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 11:41 PM, Anders Sandberg wrote:
<snip>
> While most responses were individualistic or focused on enhancing the
> individual self, I also got a very relevant off-list response about
> non-individual goals. There seem to be an interesting tension between some
> of the me-centric subjective purposes of some transhumanists and the more
> other-regarding purposes of other transhumanists.

It might be interesting to change your question to -
'What is the direction of life?' or 'How do we think human life will develop?'

That might bring out more transhuman purposes.

Personally I think that current evidence points against individual
intelligences continuing. Humans seem to want to merge with others, to
fight the loneliness of the individual. All our social apps,
community, partnerships, point in this direction. When uploading
becomes possible, merging into a communal intelligence seems obvious.
Due to speed of light communication limits, it won't be 'one'
super-intelligence. But more a distributed intelligence, communicating
back to the centre.

BillK