[ExI] Critics view of TED lectures

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Wed Jan 1 09:30:24 UTC 2014

On 2014-01-01 08:02, Giulio Prisco wrote:
> Anders: "No time for questions, emphasis on wow."
>
> The thing is, asking question, listening to the answers, and
> understanding the answers, requires time and attention, both very
> scarce commodities these days. You need to be strongly motivated to
> give your time and attention, and that's why wow must come first.
> After the time for wow, comes the time for questions.

I do not think I am good at explaining things. Partially it is because
English is my second language, partially it is because I am maybe not
great at actually explaining things. But I am good at conveying
enthusiasm. So most of my talks are about convincing the audience that
what I am talking about is the coolest thing ever, and give them plenty
of details to look up if they choose to investigate themselves. The
question period is their way of getting further pointers.

--
Dr Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute