[ExI] The second step towards immortality

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Mon Jan 6 18:35:14 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 8:34 AM, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:

> After uploading, the real world stops. It solidifies into an inert
> state so far as you are concerned. This is because uploads internal
> processes are hundreds or thousands of times faster. You live
> equivalent lifetimes in real world minutes. You won't want to
> experience the real world because to you it never changes.

I think it's rather provincial to say that interesting things only happen
on the scale of minutes, I think interesting things happen on the scale of
nanoseconds and picoseconds and femtoseconds too. And you're unlikely to be
unique, it's a reasonable assumption that if you were uploaded then other
minds will have been uploaded too, and they will be just as fast as you.
And other minds can sometimes be interesting.

  John K Clark