[ExI] The second step towards immortality

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon Jan 6 20:16:28 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 6:06 PM, Adrian Tymes  wrote:
> Proper scale, please.  Even if you're at 1000:1 speedup, there are 1440
> minutes per day - so, sure, a minute in the physical world might be 16 hours
> 40 minutes to you, but you would notice it change over time.
>
> If you want, say, 100 years (since "lifetime" becomes ambiguous: why would
> an upload necessarily age?) in 5 physical minutes, that's about 10 million
> to 1 speedup.

I was relying on my fallible memory of previous discussions. :)

Until a mind is uploaded we won't know what speed up factor to use.
But comparing chemical signals with speed of light processing means
that we could well have millions of times speed up. And if the
processing design is optimised (rather than the evolutionary kludge we
have) then expect even faster minds.

Ref the AI-Foom debate where AI might explode into super-intelligence
within a very short amount of human time (effectively many years of AI
time).

BillK