[ExI] The second step towards immortality

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Tue Jan 7 03:04:37 UTC 2014

On Sun, Jan 5, 2014 at 7:04 AM, Mirco Romanato <painlord2k at libero.it> wrote:

> Il 02/01/2014 20:07, Martin Sustrik ha scritto:
>
> Just to stay on simpler ground, what would prevent a software evolved
> enough to have multiple instances running in different servers, in
> different places?

There are computational peer to peer networks that approach this already. I
saw stuff about this 20 years ago, but am a little out of date as to how
things are going now. Boinc is one such network though. I am signed up for
a Boinc network that pays out for work in something like Bitcoins. Don't
know if that's what you are going for precisely, but it seems roughly
related.

> And have every instance with a share of a Shamir Shared Secret.
> Then an attacker would need to compromise M of N instances in
> geographically different servers.
> If an instance is compromised (as judged by the others) the other
> instances rent a new server somewhere and seed a new instance with a new
> set of SSS.
>
> And why should they sit in some server forever when the instances could
> change servers periodically?

That would work so long as someone somewhere was interested in hosting the
servers, if it was a Bitcoin like server, they would continue running so
long as anyone viewed them as money because without the servers, there
would be no way of having it be fungible.

-Kelly