[ExI] The second step towards immortality

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Tue Jan 7 20:46:41 UTC 2014

On 2014-01-07 18:59, Kelly Anderson wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 10:12 AM, Kevin Freels <kevin at freelsfamily.net
> <mailto:kevin at freelsfamily.net>> wrote:
>
>     I don't want to live faster unless I can also exceed light speed
>     by a few orders of magnitude. If anything, I'd like to slow my
>     clock a bit and observe the universe through a time-lapse.
>

> The only way to successfully do that my friend is to put yourself on a
> spaceship travelling at VERY near the speed of light away from every
> other known living being. If you slow yourself down intellectually,
> you will be non-competitive an any kind of darwinian sense, unless you
> are travelling so fast that you can't be caught.
>
> There was an interesting article on this asking if criminals could
> outrun cops. I don't recall where I read it at the moment, but you
> should read that if you want to get a sense of what you'd be in for.

That is likely Stuart Armstrong's paper 'Outrunning the Law: the Ease of
Intergalactic Colonisation Poses Unique Challenges for Star-spanning
Civilizations' given at
http://www.bis-space.com/2012/10/17/7183/extraterrestrial-liberty-what-is-freedom-beyond-the-earth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrUWkfeJABY&list=UU_qqMD08PFrDfPREoBEL6IQ&index=8
The paper should appear this year in JBIS.

The answer is basically that velocity wins over sufficiently long
distances: I can give you a head start of a million years, yet if I
travel faster than you even fractionally I will catch up with you
eventually.

--
Dr Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute