[ExI] Attention Spans Decreasing?

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Sun Jan 26 17:19:34 UTC 2014

On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 1:01 AM, John Grigg <possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Oh, and speaking of videogames, watch out for side-scrolling Starbound!
> lol  It superficially looks like an old SuperNintendo game, but on
> steroids, due to it's modern pc depth and variety.  You explore & colonize
> a galaxy of planets with coal burning starships..., yep.  My girlfriend is
> thoroughly addicted to it! lol  And yet I am not.  I do love the animation
> sequences after my characters die, showing a mind/body clone generation.
>
> But of course it's not *really* my original character, but a copy.  Hee...

If she wants, http://steamcommunity.com/groups/rpdom is a group of
friends/acquaintances of mine that are going to set up a private Starbound
server once they do the final beta wipe of characters.

More importantly, though, is the "build a world" aspect from other games
such as Minecraft and Terraria.  This is becoming one of the more well
known ways youths learn to build stuff - or specifically, that they can
change things.  I almost wonder if a mod to teach basic CAD skills would
work well, given the wide audience.