[ExI] How dangerous is radiation?

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Sat Jul 5 20:21:44 UTC 2014

On Sat, Jul 5, 2014 at 10:50 AM, John Clark <johnkclark at gmail.com> wrote:

> Everybody agrees that huge amounts of radiation are harmful or fatal,
> especially if received virtually instantaneously as in Hiroshima and
> Nagasaki

Most of the instant fatalities were due to heat and pressure.  Radiation
was only a problem for the survivors.

> These results are the exact opposite of what the LNT theory predicts and
> incredibly it seems to indicate that modest amounts of radiation received
> over a long period of time can actually be beneficial.

Yep.  Of course we're talking relatively *very* small amounts.  Also,
https://xkcd.com/radiation/ and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banana_equivalent_dose should be required
reading for any politician who wants to set policy on radiation - and
preferably any commentator who wishes to shape public opinion about it.