[ExI] Slowly moving important questions into the mainstream [Was: new names]

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Mon Jul 21 14:46:46 UTC 2014

Brian Manning Delaney <listsb at infinitefaculty.org> , 21/7/2014 3:50 PM:

Was at a get-together with some philosophers here in Stockholm -- a
mixture of (so-called...) analytic philosophers from Stockholm
University and Continental philosophers from Södertörn University,
Haha, the stereotypes of Stockholm academia remain true! :-)
 and
lo and behold, a heated discussion of Anders' just-(re-)published
Guardian article arose.
Any useful comments?
 Good to see academic types -- esp. those who
typically focus on Hegel and Heidegger & co. -- taking up these issues.
The article seemed deftly designed to pose the important questions
without getting into realms, or using terms (like "singularity"), that
can come across as flaky.
Yes, I deliberately tried to avoid that. Both as good popular science (do not feed the flakes :-) and to protect the field. Heaven knows there are enough doomsday people around, and far too few xrisk reduction people. I also made the article linkbait by turning it into a list.

The role of the philosopher is still fundamentally Socratic in my view:
getting people to question what they think they know. So, Socratically
well done, Anders!
Thanks! Now I better check my food for hemlock :-)

Anders Sandberg, Future of Humanity Institute Philosophy Faculty of Oxford University