[ExI] ?Existential hysteria (John Clark)

Angel Arturo Ramirez Suárez angelarturo911216.1991 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 16:27:13 UTC 2014

>Energy efficiency is always a good idea but it will not reduce overall
energy usage because it can mean doing the same thing with less energy OR
doing more things with the same energy; and people will almost always pick
the second option. And nobody denies that cities filled with smog is bad,
and few deny that the climate has gotten slightly warmer over the last
century, but some of us DO deny that this warming represents a existential
threat to life on this planet that we should be willing to pay ANY price to
avoid.

​Agreed that we must be careful in our decision taking and not be
impulsive. Also agree that budgets are limited and should be used wisely,
after all it's one of the first things that get reviewed on any project to
approve or reject it.

But we should still start working on improving our environments​, as
William Flynn Wallace wrote, it will still affect our health and that will
cost even more money than taking preventive measures now that we can.

How about the Antartic ice sheets that are breaking? Does anyone have any
plan to counter the rise in sea level or we'll just leave it be because
it's not "human based"?

And about Chinese's coal burning being China's problem, not exactly as that
smog will still spread globally. There should be more pressure to prevent
countries from damaging the environment, whether it's Russia, China, USA or
whoever does, doesn't matter as we share the same planet.

--
*"Nuestras aspiraciones son nuestras posibilidades" - Robert Browning*