[ExI] Be nice to leftists

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 10:36:10 UTC 2014

On Sun, Jun 8, 2014 at 1:18 AM, Omar Rahman  wrote:
> I'm surprised in our modern day that intelligent people can't seem to see
> that capitalism has no built in sense of morality and is in fact 'morally
> bankrupt'.

I have hesitated to comment as this is one of those subjects where
entrenched views just talk past each other.

But surely it is obvious that in today's' world every commercial deal
involves corruption, and the bigger the deal - the bigger the
corruption.

Just look at all the fraud cases and fines and jail sentences. And
these are only the cases the authorities notice. The corruption goes
from free meals, drinks and entertainment, free holidays, under the
counter bribes, huge 'consultancy fees', high paid job offers after
the deal is signed, over-priced contracts to companies owned by those
involved in the deal (or relatives), money transfers to off-shore bank
accounts, etc. etc.....  All of these bribes are priced into the deal
of course.

In theory, government and law tries to reduce corruption. That's why
business regards government and laws as a hindrance to their trading
practices. And, in the USA, has led to corporate takeover of the
government. For business, that is the ideal - private profits and
socialize losses.

BillK