[ExI] What Does Chatbot Eugene Goostman's Success on the Turing Test Mean?

spike spike66 at att.net
Mon Jun 9 20:48:30 UTC 2014

>...On Behalf Of BillK
Subject: Re: [ExI] What Does Chatbot Eugene Goostman's Success on the Turing
Test Mean?

On Mon, Jun 9, 2014 at 7:39 PM, spike wrote:
>>... Whether or not Goostman can fool a third of sophisticated judges, it
> can certainly provide friendly conversation to an elderly patient.
<snip>

>...Dementia patients don't even need conversation...

BillK, you know I have all the respect in the world and love you like a
brother, but I do sincerely disagree sir, and that is why I suggested
visiting the nursing home.  See it, hear it, feel it, be there, do it
please.  Then come back and let us resume the discussion.

A nearly-human conversation sim would be a gift for the declining elderly.

>...The Paro seal pup robot is now in its 8th generation and is appearing in
care homes all round the world (even in the US as well).

<http://www.fastcoexist.com/1682409/a-cute-robotic-harp-seal-to-make-life-ha
ppier-in-nursing-homes>

This is a cool supplement agreed.  But that talking avatar thing in addition
to a robo-puppy would be even better.

>...It's easy to dismiss a robot, and worry about a day when nursing homes
cut costs by bringing in automation for everything... BillK

I don't understand that comment.  To the contrary: I would cheer for a
nursing home that cut costs by bringing in automation.  I would be more
likely to do business with them.  We can get automatons which would be more
competent at tending the sick, would alert the medics if necessary, keep the
patients company, lower expenses all at the same time.  What's not to like
about that?  Side note: nursing home costs ruin families' finances.  If they
can reduce staff, they can reduce costs.  Cool!

>... But people love Paro, it seems; and he's especially liked among the
hardest to reach part of the population, like elderly with various stages of
dementia.

Good for them, and may this spawn many spin-offs.