[ExI] What Does Chatbot Eugene Goostman's Success on the Turing Test Mean?

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 21:20:58 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jun 9, 2014 at 9:48 PM, spike wrote:
> This is a cool supplement agreed.  But that talking avatar thing in addition
> to a robo-puppy would be even better.

Agreed. Both is best. Every dementia patient is different. There are
grades of dementia. What is best for one may not be best for the next.

> I don't understand that comment.  To the contrary: I would cheer for a
> nursing home that cut costs by bringing in automation.  I would be more
> likely to do business with them.  We can get automatons which would be more
> competent at tending the sick, would alert the medics if necessary, keep the
> patients company, lower expenses all at the same time.  What's not to like
> about that?  Side note: nursing home costs ruin families' finances.  If they
> can reduce staff, they can reduce costs.  Cool!

I think the reporter was concerned that it might lead to a lack of
human contact. Like mechanised factory farming care homes. I don't see
that as a near-future risk. In fact, as robots improve it is likely
that they will provide better and more reliable care than humans.

BillK