[ExI] for the fermi paradox fans

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 17:01:39 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 10:33 AM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> > This is the coolest space video I have seen in a long time.  It would be
> even cooler had they slowed down a bit and gone inside some of the galaxies:
>

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08LBltePDZw
>

> Where the hell is everybody?

When you look at a picture like that or the Hubble Ultra deep field
http://wallpaperpanda.com/wallpapers/jio/ekA/jioekAKKT.jpg  we know that
even the smallest dots in it are not stars but galaxies consisting of
millions or billions of stars, and yet we also know that life can not exist
anywhere in that picture. We know this for 2 reasons:

1) This picture is of things as they were only a few hundred million years
after the Big Bang, and that's not enough time for life, much less complex
intelligent life, to evolve.

2) There wasn't even enough time for stars to cook up the elements that
life needs, life Carbon or Oxygen or Nitrogen; what you're looking at in
pictures like that are just Hydrogen and Helium and a very very small trace
of Lithium. And you can't do much interesting chemistry with nothing but
that.

  John K Clark