[ExI] for the fermi paradox fans

Henry Rivera hrivera at alumni.virginia.edu
Wed Jun 11 02:52:02 UTC 2014

> On Jun 10, 2014, at 4:33 PM, "spike" <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

Along those lines, I suppose, I have a possible answer or two. It's roughly outlined in Tim Leary's Exo-Psychology. The basic idea being that life's ultimate evolutionary form is what we might call ghost- or spirit-like. Something like uncontained consciousness. Such beings might not have any spacecraft or hardware to encounter us nor any need or method of interfacing with us solid-body-matter types.

And/or higher intelligence always eventually finds a way to transcend this universe/dimension/reality leaving the embryonic environment we refer to as our universe. Archeological remnants of those lifeforms would still exist on some host planets out there, presumably, but we would find them abandoned if at all.

Perhaps the trajectory of intelligence/consciousness throughout the universe is:
Single cell life->multicellular life forms->complex "animals"->sentient "animals"->sentient "animals" with technology-enhanced manufactured parts -> sentient completely manufactured beings -> sentience without the constraints of the physical realm and/or the need for embodiment.

I'm suggesting all that could routinely happen on planets before anyone out there has a chance or means to really venture out into the vast universe in a biological or hybrid form.  They could devise a way to explore at sub-light speeds once they do not have the limitations of biological forms (I mean given how long such journeys would be). But with exponential technological progress, the jump from {sentient completely manufactured beings} to {sentience without the constraints of embodiment} might happen rather quickly before they have a chance to send out such ambassadors.

How's that for thinking outside the box?
-Henry