[ExI] for the fermi paradox fans

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 15:30:20 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 3:27 PM, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:

> the point of that photo is to impress us with the unbelievable size of
> the universe.

It's true that astronomy can produce some very very big numbers, and I am
impressed.

> Life will almost certainly have happened in these galaxies in the
> intervening billions of years since the original photons started their
> journey towards us.

Maybe, but biology can produce some very very big numbers too and it's not
at all clear to me that astronomy's numbers are bigger than biology's. And
even if what you say is true due to the acceleration of the expansion of
space by the time intelligent life evolves on those enormously distant
galaxies they will no longer be in our observable universe.

  John K Clark