[ExI] RES: guitar playing robot

spike spike66 at att.net
Mon Mar 10 15:05:06 UTC 2014

Subject: Re: [ExI] RES: guitar playing robot

>... On Behalf Of Henrique Moraes Machado

>>>...http://singularityhub.com/2014/03/01/squarepusher-explores-emotiona
>>l-machine-music-with-78-fingered-robot-guitarist/

>>...Cool concept. Good execution. Atrocious music that goes nowhere. But
>I don't like fusion jazz. It sounds to me more like instrumental
masturbation than music.  Henrique

>...COOL you can do that with musical instruments?  So many years, all I did
with them is make music.  Tragic waste.  spike

Oh wait, better idea: piano, extended jazz improv of some sort, have an
assistant pump the pedal while an accomplished musician works the keys.
Record the results.  Can the listener tell when the player (the one on the
keyboard) is having the...um... maximum musical experience?  Can he (or
possibly even she) maintain the tempo?  Does the key signature change?  What
key is best for that?  What tempo?  What rhythm?

Now that I think about it, the idea is so obvious it must have been done
before, a long time ago.  Perhaps that is how we got jazz to start with:
someone was playing Bach or Beethoven and had an idea.