[ExI] Gravity waves?

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 19:52:33 UTC 2014

On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 10:21 AM, Ben <bbenzai at yahoo.com> wrote:

>  >> Gravity waves have just been detected in the variations of the
>>> polarization of the microwave radiation from the Big Bang; and so ...
>>>

> > Shouldn't this be "gravity waves have been inferred from the detection
> of variations of the polarisation...", or "variations in the polarisation
> of microwave radiation is consistent with the existence of gravity
> waves...", etc.?

How is that fundamentally different from "electromagnetic light waves have
been inferred from the chemical changes made in the retina of our eye" ?
And to me the important thing isn't that gravity waves have been detected,
that's happened before with the decay in the orbits of twin Neutron Stars,
but that the gravity waves had just the strength and polarization that
Inflation theory said they should have from the Big Bang and most competing
theories can now be ruled out.  And it's very difficult to  make sense out
of inflation theory, that is to say there is no way to understand how it
could ever stop, without invoking the multiverse.

For every volume in which the inflation field decays away in 2 other
volumes the field doesn't decay. So one universe becomes 3, the field
decays in one universe but not in the other 2, then both of those two
universes splits in 3 again and the inflation field decays away in one and
doesn't decay in 2 others, and it goes on forever. So what we call "The Big
Bang" isn't the beginning of everything it's just the end of inflation in
our particular part of the universe. So according to Inflation this field
created one Big Bang, then 2, then 4, then 8, then 16 etc in a unending
process.

> > I'm still waiting for someone to /actually detect gravity waves/.

Wouldn't that be  "gravity waves have been inferred from the small
movements of 2 mirrors placed 4 kilometers apart "?

> > I'm wondering why we can't seem to detect them directly

How can you see anything directly?

  John K Clark