[ExI] Gravity waves?

Ben bbenzai at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 21 20:59:37 UTC 2014

John Clark <johnkclark at gmail.com> wrote:

 >On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 10:21 AM, Ben <bbenzai at yahoo.com> wrote:

 >> Shouldn't this be "gravity waves have been inferred from the detection
 >> of variations of the polarisation...", or "variations in the
polarisation
 >> of microwave radiation is consistent with the existence of gravity
 >> waves...", etc.?
 >>

 >How is that fundamentally different from "electromagnetic light waves have
 >been inferred from the chemical changes made in the retina of our eye" ?

The difference is the degree of separation between the thing and the
observer.  The more steps there are, the more uncertainty there is about
what is causing the result.  There's a difference between a brick
falling on your foot, and you reading a message where someone claims
that a friend of a friend suffered a brick to the foot. There are fewer
possible interpretations for one than for the other, and a different
degree of certainty about the existence of the brick.

Observations of polarisation of microwaves is detection of gravity waves
in the same sense that observation of blonde hairs on a lapel is
detection of a cheating husband.

Ben Zaiboc