[ExI] dna ethics question

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Thu May 8 06:01:32 UTC 2014

On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 7:36 AM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> Adrian you were a sane voice last time.  What do we do now, coach?  What
> can go wrong?

Aside from what has already been said, let me toss a note to incompetence
and laziness.  Say the cops have your DNA on file, you having volunteered
it - "anonymously".  They have DNA that sort of matches yours - a first
cousin, perhaps - from a crime scene.  Which do you think they will believe
to be easier?

* Tracing ancestries to see which of your relatives are in town (assuming
that correct information is available - e.g., that you won't just cover for
your cousin because your cousin is family), hoping that they have
registered addresses on file (instead of just being in a hotel) or that you
know where your cousins are at all times (shyeah right), and then chasing
down the actual perpetrator.

* Fudging the DNA a bit, leaning on the service until your donation isn't
so anonymous, then picking you up.  Doesn't matter that you've got a dozen
witnesses placing you in another state at the time: they've got DNA
evidence.

Any of them succumbing to temptation and going for the latter is too many.