[ExI] How the world collapses

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Sat May 17 17:11:43 UTC 2014

On Sat, May 17, 2014 at 11:22 AM, Adrian Tymes <atymes at gmail.com> wrote:

>  The solar panels on my roof don't seem very illusory.

But solar panels on the roof of my car are illusory because my car has 306
horsepower, one horsepower is equal to 746 watts so my car needs 228,276
watts.  On a bright day at noon solar cells produce about 10 watts per
square foot, so my car would need 22,827 square feet of solar cells, that's
not counting the additional air resistance caused by the 151x151 foot
square mounted on the car's roof and the "WIDE LOAD" banner I'd have to
place on the back.. And I still couldn't get to work at night or on cloudy
days.

> Neither do the large wind farms in the hills not too far from here.

Today there are no purely economic reasons to build wind farms, there are
however tax and public relation reasons for doing so. And if wind farms
ever became really common environmentalists would do everything they could
to stop them because wind farms:
1) Take up to much environmentally sensitive land.
2) They are too ugly.
3) They are too noisy.
4) They change global wind patterns.
5) They kill little birdies.

To environmentalists alternate energy solutions are just fine as long as
they remain strictly on paper, just don't try to build anything on a large
enough scale to actually accomplish anything.

> > Generally, any article that's yelling and screaming about how the world
> is collapsing and there's nothing we can do about it, isn't worth reading.

I agree 100%.

  John K Clark