[ExI] How the world collapses

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Sat May 17 18:22:48 UTC 2014

On Sat, May 17, 2014 at 10:11 AM, John Clark <johnkclark at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, May 17, 2014 at 11:22 AM, Adrian Tymes <atymes at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >  The solar panels on my roof don't seem very illusory.
>
> But solar panels on the roof of my car are illusory

Did I mention solar panels on a car?  Cars need higher density fuels than
straight solar power, it is true.  Once synthetic oil can be made cheaply
enough - or electric cars are both similarly-priced as normal cars and have
enough range (the Tesla series have enough range for most people, but
they're a bit pricey; even with the "but you're not buying gas" factor,
that's still shifting costs up front) - then the fuel can be collected and
made from home solar, or renewables feeding through the grid.

Either of these are possible, but they will take much work to achieve.
Disasterbationists would have us give up on this work because it's not
already complete.

> > Neither do the large wind farms in the hills not too far from here.
>
> Today there are no purely economic reasons to build wind farms, there are
> however tax and public relation reasons for doing so.

All power plants, even coal, have government subsidies of some sort -
usually on the fuel, but with wind and solar it's not really possible to
subsidize the fuel so they subsidize the plants instead.  Then people get
confused because other types don't have plant subsidies.

> To environmentalists alternate energy solutions are just fine as long as
> they remain strictly on paper, just don't try to build anything on a large
> enough scale to actually accomplish anything.

Those types of environmentalists - increasingly revealed to be astroturf by
various competing energy interests - are starting to lose power.  But only
starting to.

> > Generally, any article that's yelling and screaming about how the world
>> is collapsing and there's nothing we can do about it, isn't worth reading.
>>

> I agree 100%.

Glad to hear it.  :)