[ExI] sick man of the internet?

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue May 20 16:30:04 UTC 2014

Anders, I read a comment by you the other day which has been rattling around
in my head like a marble in an empty coffee can.  It was something about
Java being the sick man of the internet.  Perhaps I misunderstood.  Please
sir, why is that?

Reason why I am asking: my son has been doing the MOOCs on Java, such as the
one in Khan Academy.  He took it up immediately and is already better at
Java than I am (it isn't hard to surpass my modest skills in that area, but
still it's good progress for a 7 yr old.)

I have been considering getting serious about mastering Java for a specific
application I have been working on for some time, a DNA consanguinity study.
I want to write the code in a form lots of Ancestry.com-ers can use, so I
assumed Java is the way, the truth and the life.  Is it?

Thanks!