[ExI] How the world collapses

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue May 27 23:10:32 UTC 2014

From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of John Clark
Sent: Tuesday, May 27, 2014 6:59 AM
To: ExI chat list
Subject: Re: [ExI] How the world collapses

On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 3:41 AM, Sondre Bjellås <sondre-list at bjellas.com> wrote:

>>… I'm the happy owner of a Nissan Leaf, couldn't be more happy!

>…That's nice but in the end your all electric Nissan Leaf is probably getting its energy from fossil fuel just like my car, or maybe from nuclear.  Due to things like regenerative braking your car might be a little more efficient than mine but not enough to change global warming.

  John K Clark

Ja there is that, but all-electric cars can help enable intermittent power sources.

A friend with a leaf was most annoyed with me I fear, for my referring to his ride as an emissions-elsewhere vehicle.  But we can easily see how a huge fleet of all-electrics and plug-in hybrids will help with power generation load levelling, so we can use more effectively our ground-based solar and wind power.  Leaf buyers, you are still helping, even if not in exactly the way it is being advertised.