[ExI] internet regulation as a public utility

James Clement clementlawyer at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 03:09:43 UTC 2014

7spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> Give me corporations.  We understand greed.  We have always had that, and
> we can work with it.

Spike, by no means is this suggestion meant as a persuasive argument
against your view that corporations should prevail over FCC's proposed Net
Neutrality rules, but I nevertheless will recommend you watch all of the
back episodes of the Canadian sci-fi program Continuum.
http://www.showcase.ca/CONTINUUM  I think there's a good chance that we're
headed toward such a (2070s) world as envisioned by their writers, unless
we start curbing the power of corporations to influence politicians.
Getting voters to get worked up and vote corrupt politicians out of office
- fat chance. Getting politicians to responsibly curb their own power or
limit campaign donations, likewise. Of course I'd rather see overall
government power significantly reduced, but that doesn't appear likely,
either. Given that we have a system in which entrenched businesses are
given favorable laws, loans, and get-out-of-jail cards, I don't want those
corporations allowed to control the internet, too.

And yes, we understand corporate greed, but I disagree that "we can work
with it," in all cases. This doesn't make me an anti-capitalist (I'm most
certainly not), it makes me anti crony capitalism
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crony_capitalism. As long as corporations get
to lobby Congress and buy elections, then we'll just get more and more
crony capitalism.

Best regards,

James