[ExI] internet regulation as a public utility

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Nov 11 02:14:47 UTC 2014

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Adrian Tymes
Sent: Monday, November 10, 2014 5:32 PM
To: ExI chat list
Subject: Re: [ExI] internet regulation as a public utility

On Nov 10, 2014 5:07 PM, "spike" <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
>> I read up on it and I come away with little doubt: any attempt at regulation is a bad thing.  It sets up too many risks for violation of free speech enforced by the IRS.

>...at least target the right agency, please!  The IRS wouldn't be regulating this, but the FCC, and they are directly about regulating the things that speech happens via…

The IRS is the universal enforcement arm.  The development of using the IRS in that way is a most unpleasant recent development.  Sure I know it started with Al Capone.  But it wasn’t widely abused until recently.

>…Also, in this case it's not a question if if there will be regulations but just of who will create and enforce them.  If the FCC does not, then the Internet service companies will reserve most to all of their bandwidth for the large media companies who pay them the most…

Ja, of course.

>…Or did you want this email list to become undeliverable because you didn't pay their $1,000 annual fee - and then $2,000 the next year, up to however much they can squeeze you for, and then a little more as you become that lowest paying customer who is no longer profitable and therefore dropped?  Because that is basically the alternative that was being set up before the FCC said, "Hold on, we might have a problem with that."

Ja, and consider the alternative: the FCC gets to make the rules, and they start seeing a bit too much criticism of the government on this email server, but more specifically, a bit too much criticism of the FCC.  We are talking about giving them the power to stop it?  Could they do it by going to the moderator and saying “We can let you continue without an IRS audit, if you get rid of these five troublemakers.”

Give me corporations.  We understand greed.  We have always had that, and we can work with it.