[ExI] internet regulation as a public utility

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 01:32:09 UTC 2014

On Nov 10, 2014 5:07 PM, "spike" <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
> I read up on it and I come away with little doubt: any attempt at
regulation is a bad thing.  It sets up too many risks for violation of free
speech enforced by the IRS.

...at least target the right agency, please!  The IRS wouldn't be
regulating this, but the FCC, and they are directly about regulating the
things that speech happens via.

Also, in this case it's not a question if if there will be regulations but
just of who will create and enforce them.  If the FCC does not, then the
Internet service companies will reserve most to all of their bandwidth for
the large media companies who pay them the most.

Or did you want this email list to become undeliverable because you didn't
pay their $1,000 annual fee - and then $2,000 the next year, up to however
much they can squeeze you for, and then a little more as you become that
lowest paying customer who is no longer profitable and therefore dropped?
Because that is basically the alternative that was being set up before the
FCC said, "Hold on, we might have a problem with that."