[ExI] hacked email

spike spike66 at att.net
Sun Nov 30 04:15:27 UTC 2014

>... On Behalf Of BillK
Subject: Re: [ExI] hacked email

On Fri, Nov 28, 2014 at 8:45 AM, Anders Sandberg wrote:
>>... The problem with most schemes discussed here are, as Adrian pointed
> out, that anything that is inconvenient to use will get quickly
> abandoned - this is why PGP is not ubiquitous, despite having been around
for 20 years...

>...Agreed. But as I understand Spike's description of the problem, key
verification and encryption would not solve his problem. His group has a
'user' problem. The troublesome user was given full access to another user's
machine and used that machine to send false messages...BillK

The low-tech solution worked in this case.  We just had the suspected victim
of the walk-in change his email password and the problem has not recurred.
The bad-actor did write at least one other suspect email, from her father's
account.  But by the time that one occurred, we are already alert and
recognized it immediately.  The damage was painful but limited.