[ExI] baseball for the first time and voting machines again, was: RE: META: Humour: Sex?

spike spike66 at att.net
Wed Oct 1 23:11:39 UTC 2014

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf
Of spike

>>...This has similar problems (and solutions?) as spike's voting machine...
Mike

>...this post isn't about voting machines...spike

...But this one is getting closer.

Is anyone here besides me following the current unrest in Hong Kong?  As I
understand it, the problem is that Hong Kong is to have free elections,
however, Beijing must sign off on the candidates before they can go on the
ballot.  Hong Kong protestors argue that this resembles a free election but
is not a free election.

As long as we have no way to externally verify the calls of a home-plate
umpire, we don't know who won that game.  It resembles a fair game, but we
are being asked to assume the umpire is neutral.

Do I even need to make the next comment, with regard to non-auditable voting
machines?