[ExI] Strong AI Hypothesis: logically flawed

Dan danust2012 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 19:02:48 UTC 2014

> On Thursday, October 2, 2014 9:38 AM, Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se> wrote:
> John Clark <johnkclark at gmail.com> , 2/10/2014 5:03 PM:
>> So what have philosophers got to stack up against
>> these gargantuan philosophical discoveries made by
>> non-philosophers?

That's a true Scotsman argument, no? If there's progress or discoveries, it's not philosophy; if it doesn't then it is.

> As soon as I say something you will say it is not
> philosophy. Formal logic, decision theory, foundations
> of mathematics... you will quickly say that wasn't
> philosophy or that the people involved were not

> doing it as philosophers.

Yah. Cognitive science could be added to the list.

> It is a bit like robotics and AI: as soon as it starts
> working, it gets called automation.

True, though I believe "intelligence" has been ill-defined or even undefined from the start.

Regards,

Dan
 My latest Kindle book, "Born With Teeth," can be previewed at:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N72FBA2
(I assure John, it's not intentionally philosophical.:)