[ExI] 23andME - Company issues: privacy

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 19 22:28:31 UTC 2014

On Oct 19, 2014 4:44 PM, "spike" <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> OK here’s my citizen scientist home experiment.  Next time you are
sitting in front of your computer and feel a good sneeze coming on, don’t
stifle it into your sleeve as you normally might do.  Let it fly, right
onto your monitor.  This will not hurt it a bit; windex will fit it
afterwards.  Note the spray patterns, the size and so forth.  Estimate the
volume of those droplets.

> Now imagine you are a virus living in one of those.  I see no reason
whatsoever that a virus couldn’t survive a good old fashioned deep sneeze,
the good orgasmic kind that start with ah ah ah aaaaaaahhhhh…  Then if
anyone is anywhere near that cloud of sputum and inhales that, I just can’t
see why that few seconds in the air would slay those viruses.

I think the differences are word choice and intention.  If clinical
definition of airborne means that it can be carried in droplets that float
in air and air-handling systems then Ebola is not airborne.  Projectile
fluid exchange is still a concern (per spike's "rant")

My dismay regarding Ebola is due to the cavalier attitude of doctors saying
"Ebola is not airborne" (or air-borne?) and assuming isolation protocols
are sufficiently safe. How much disinfectant is required to properly
cleanse affected surfaces after contact with infected fluids? Are
consumer-grade products up to the task or is a commercial/clinical product
required?

If education is the best defense,  why don't I already know the answers to
these questions?

Sure,  I could do the research myself. Why aren't these facts given after
every update on Ebola? Because the public wouldn't be capable of
understanding facts? Or because the government agencies involved have so
little experience disseminating fact that they just don't know how?

Sorry: I kind of went off a bit there at the end... :)