[ExI] lockheed's fusion video

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 15:17:15 UTC 2014

On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 10:30 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> *From:* extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] *On
> Behalf Of *Adrian Tymes
>

> >…Ah.  So, neutrons get captured inside a larger fusing mass at an
> exponent even larger than the increase of the volume, then?
>

> No.  As I understand it, the neutrons don’t get captured.  The plasma gets
> captured because it is charged, so it can be contained by a magnetic field,
> in accordance with Maxwell’s (I think third) equation, that bit about a
> changing magnetic field inducing an electric field.  But the neutrons go
> flying out and hit the metal walls of the reaction vessel, and that’s what
> erodes regardless of what magic is used to contain the plasma.

I meant, I thought it was the case that if volume X of plasma produces Y
amount of neutrons per unit time, then 2*X will produce 2*Y - i.e. that the
rate of neutron production scales with the volume.  This would suggest that
the rate of neutrons crossing the surface goes up with a bigger volume -
which means slightly less bigger surface area.

For instance, if volume X has surface area Z, then 8*X will have 4*Z
surface area...but still 8*Y neutron production, so the rate of neutrons
crossing the surface went from Y/Z to 8*Y/4*Z = 2*(Y/Z).

Does the rate of neutron production not scale that way?

> >…That noble atom (all ions are technically still atoms) is gone...
>

> Oh, I haven’t heard it used that way.  I have always heard that it is
> either an atom or an ion, but cannot be both.  Atoms are neutral, ions are
> charged.

Ah.  I'd heard "ions are atoms that have a non-neutral charge", thus "ion"
is a special type of "atom".  Semantics.

> Adrian we are making a mistake here, me lad.  There are surely internet
> groups that grok and discuss this stuff the way we discuss qualia and
> cryonics and ineffable stuff like that.  They would be up to speed on this
> neutron chamber erosion problem.  We should study their stuff rather than
> groping around in the dark like a bunch of drunken frat boys in an
> initiation rite.  Keith?  John Clark?  Where should we go to learn about
> this?

Quite true.  I thought you might have already found some resources on this.