[ExI] Philosophy Tech Support

spike spike66 at att.net
Sun Oct 26 14:40:07 UTC 2014

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Anders Sandberg

   If data is coming across it, does it really change the temperature of the line?

>…Given that bits have entropy, you can cool a line using a string of low-entropy bits…

Cool!

Back to philosophy for a minute, the whole notion of a philosophy tech-hotline is aptly named, for it raises more questions than answers.

>…There is actually a serious need for a good philosophy of technology. Something named that already exist, but it mostly consists of philosophers like Heidegger and Ellul who give lengthy arguments why technology is bad for us…

We must first define the term “bad.”

>… But there is a need for a good theory of how technology develops in the large, unifying history of technology with issues like big history … Of course, once we get it to *work* it will no longer be philosophy. Anders Sandberg

Oh this is cool.  There is *plenty * of fun to be had with the concept.  Sometimes I think I just have too much free time on my hands.

This brings up an interesting question.  What if… everyone had too much free time on their hands?  Assume away constant struggles for the basics, so we have sufficient food, shelter, all the bear necessities of life, spelling intentional (Google on it, younger friends.)

Then what happens?