[ExI] nick's book being sold by fox news

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at canonizer.com
Tue Oct 28 03:14:08 UTC 2014

Hi Anders,

Wow, do you remember having this exact conversation 2 years ago?  I
started on a reply to your post, and then had that deja-vu feeling, so I
did a quick search and found this:

http://lists.extropy.org/pipermail/extropy-chat/2012-December/075438.html

And we've probably had similare conversations other years.  It is
surprizing how identical the situation was back then, and how the
response I was working on right now, is almost identical to what I said
back then.  Except for my response, like your response this time, is of
far less quality, and we obviously spent far less time on them, this
time around.  In other words, it seems that the quality of our
conversation is degrading, over time, and certainly not improving.
Primarily because of lack of memory.  This is precisely the kind of
waste of time infinitely repetitive bleating that I am talking about.

It seems to me that if you would have taken less time, back then, to
simply include what you said back then, in canonizer.com, rather than
posting it here, our conversation, today, would have been much improved,
rather than degrading, and would have taken far less time.  And, there
is a good chance that someone else would have been able to add to the
conversation, in a competing camp, or improving what you could have
said, improving things even further.

Perhaps you think that you can't add anything to Canonizer.com, unless
it is of peer review quality.   No wonder you think you don't have
time.  That is not the way the amplification of the wisdom of the crowd
canonization process works.  In other words, all that is required is
less effort than is being applied to this repeated every year,
conversation to make significant progress.

Some people assume we think what is in canonizer.com as "truth", which
it is clearly not, and thankfully you don't think that it contains
"truth".  But you do seem to expect it to be some kind of 'unbiased'
survey of what all experts think.  It isn't!  It is JUST a state of the
art real time representative of what all participants currently believe
(without having to read hundreds of individual responses).

And the best part of all of it, is how much time it does save.

I trust you very much, because of what I've seen from you, and will
admit that you are probably at a much higher level of intelligence on
such issues, than I am able to comprehend.  But, even if what you
understand isn't yet contained in Canonizer.com, what is there is of far
greater quality, than would be if I, and everyone else, would have just
produced a long diatribe response to every single time someone says
something like "I don't see how anyone could argue such and such."
Instead of repeating the same degrading over time diatribe, every time,
all I have to do is refer people to my camp.

True, all the worlds best experts haven't yet participated in the survey
on qualia and consciousness.  But I would argue that the so called 'peer
reviewed' articles coming out of the ivory tower on this subject are
making little, if any progress, especially compared to what these
participating in the amplification of the wisdom of the crowd hobbyists
have achieved at Canonizer.com.  I am obviously biased, but I think what
is already there is vastly superior to anything coming out of the Ivory
tower and so called "peer reviewed" journals that all can easily be
argued as being very biased to one school of thought or another.

And we no longer have those infinitely repeated, degrading over time
arguments about qualia, like were so painful for everyone so often,
before Canonizer.com.  Remember how so many people would get angry every
time someone even mentioned qualia?

Brent Allsop