[ExI] nick's book being sold by fox news

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Tue Oct 28 09:35:45 UTC 2014

Brent Allsop <brent.allsop at canonizer.com> , 28/10/2014 4:19 AM:

Wow, do you remember having this exact conversation 2 years ago?  I     started on a reply to your post, and then had that deja-vu feeling,     so I did a quick search and found this:

 http://lists.extropy.org/pipermail/extropy-chat/2012-December/075438.html
Good memory! Yes, I had roughly the same feeling when I wrote my quick response.
It seems to me that if you would have taken less time, back then, to     simply include what you said back then, in canonizer.com, rather     than posting it here, our conversation, today, would have been much     improved, rather than degrading, and would have taken far less     time.  And, there is a good chance that someone else would have been     able to add to the conversation, in a competing camp, or improving     what you could have said, improving things even further.
Maybe. I am reminded of the debates we had back in the 90s on this list about FAQs too :-)
I do think you are right, though. If a question does come up repeatedly, the answers or arguments should be written down somewhere easily accessible. There is still no guarantee they will be read by those who need them (that was the conclusion of the many FAQ discussions, I think).
OK, I'll try to add some stuff if I get the time today.

Anders Sandberg, Future of Humanity Institute Philosophy Faculty of Oxford University