[ExI] nick's book being sold by fox news

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at canonizer.com
Wed Oct 29 16:45:28 UTC 2014

On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 4:40 PM, Keith Henson <hkeithhenson at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 5:00 AM,  Brent Allsop
> <brent.allsop at canonizer.com> wrote:
>
> > Perhaps you think that you can't add anything to Canonizer.com, unless
> > it is of peer review quality.
>
> I produced a few thoughts over the years about this topic both here
> and on the sl4 list.  I finally put my thoughts on how to build
> motivations into AIs so we could trust them in fiction (The Clinic
> Seed).  Still, even a trusted AI could make the human race happily go
> extinct (as happened in the story).  That seems beyond what could go
> into the Canonizer.

All you need to do is at least find some other people that agree with
and/or can comprehend you, and are willing to indicate such by joining and
supporting your camp.  The most important thing is finding and building at
least some amount of consensus, and that is what Canonizer.com is all
about.  Even what you are saying here should be enough that someone who is
capable of understanding what you are trying to say should be able to see
the camp, find you, and then join up and help communicate, and together
help build more consensus.

> My concepts were not particularly accepted as I recall (it's been a
> long time) but I don't remember convincing arguments that giving AIs
> human like motivations to seek the good opinion of humans and others

Everyone tends to have this perception, no matter how well accepted the
theory is.  You need to quantitatively measure how well each of the ideas
are accepted, and people are often surprised at how well accepted their
ideas really are.  And where there is disagreement, you need to know,
concisely and quantitatively, what everyone is still struggling with.  What
converts you, will likely not convert everyone else.  So you need to find
out why, and work with that, to build more consensus, and work from within
their POV.  When you discover more scientific evidence, or better arguments
to support your theory, you need to quantitatively measure their quality by
how many people the evidence/arguments converts.  Remove everything and
only focus on what is working the best.  That which you measure, will
improve.  Again, with the ultimate goal being building as much consensus as
possible.

No matter what you want, if you can manage to get enough consensus, or find
enough people that want the same thing, it will just happen.  The only hard
part to getting what you want, is building enough consensus.  The rest is
trivially easy.