[ExI] Smart watching

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sun Sep 7 18:50:13 UTC 2014

On Sun, Sep 7, 2014 at 7:11 PM, Rafal Smigrodzki wrote:
> I am thinking about buying a smartwatch as a medical monitoring device that
> could perhaps be programmed to raise alarm, perhaps even automatically call
> Alcor, if I became deanimated.
>
> Both of the options below:
> http://www.gizmag.com/moto-360-vs-samsung-gear-s/33694/
>
> have heart rate monitors, so it's just a question of having the right kind
> of app to get the automatic medical alarm capability. The inconvenient part
> is that I would have to keep the watch on even at night for full protection.
> And do the monitors work in the shower? The ideal system would have enough
> comm range to keep in touch with a personal cell device, usually a phone, be
> ultralight, water- and impact-proof, maybe have hot-swappable battery packs,
> and have the right software to handle alarm verification, and transfer of
> data to a monitoring service. A crime alarm/911 function would be nice too.

I think you should be researching wearable health devices. There is a
tremendous amount of development going on as companies expect this to
be a huge market.

I don't think your ideal device has quite reached the market yet. But
companies are aware of the requirement for long-distance monitoring of
health. e.g. patients released after a serious heart op, aged
relatives, etc. So these devices should soon be available.

<http://www.ucsf.edu/news/2014/08/116511/doctor-can-see-you-now>

BillK