[ExI] Dementia

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 06:48:22 UTC 2015

On 27 April 2015 at 06:02, Rafal Smigrodzki wrote:
> ### Can you point to some research data? As far as I know there has been a
> steady decline in age-adjusted incidence of dementia in the US over the last
> 30 years or so.
> -------------

Mortality From Alzheimer's Disease in the United States:
Data for 2000 and 2010

<http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/databriefs/db116.htm>

The age-adjusted death rate from Alzheimer's disease increased by 39
percent from 2000 through 2010 in the United States.
Alzheimer's disease is the sixth leading cause of death in the United
States and is the fifth leading cause among people aged 65 years and
over. People aged 85 years and over have a 5.4 times greater risk of
dying from Alzheimer's disease than people aged 75-84 years.

There are a few provisos though.

Diagnosis of dementia and Alzheimers as primary cause of death seems
to vary between doctors and states.
Death rates for cancer, heart disease and strokes have reduced as
Alzheimers has increased.
(So the Alz increase may be connected to people living longer).

Certainly the life extension research needs to fix brain damage as
well as body damage.

BillK