[ExI] Dementia

Jason Resch jasonresch at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 05:33:02 UTC 2015

On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 12:02 AM, Rafal Smigrodzki <
rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 26, 2015 at 4:43 PM, Jason Resch <jasonresch at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'd highly recommend people read "Grain Brain
>> <http://www.drperlmutter.com/about/grain-brain-by-david-perlmutter/>" if
>> they're interested in what really might be behind the sharp rise and
>> earlier onsets of dementia and Alzheimer's Disease.
>>

> ### Can you point to some research data? As far as I know there has been a
> steady decline in age-adjusted incidence of dementia in the US over the
> last 30 years or so.
> -------------

Rafal,

You're correct. I was under the impression that incidence had been
increasing, but perhaps that impression was based on people living longer
(and not taking into account age adjustments).

From: http://www.alz.org/facts/overview.asp

"The number of Americans with Alzheimer's disease and other dementias will
grow each year as the size and proportion of the U.S. population age 65 and
older continue to increase. By 2025, the number of people age 65 and older
with Alzheimer's disease is estimated to reach 7.1 million — a 40 percent
increase from the 5.1 million age 65 and older affected in 2015. By 2050,
the number of people age 65 and older with Alzheimer's disease may nearly
triple, from 5.1 million to a projected 13.8 million, barring the
development of medical breakthroughs to prevent or cure the disease."

Though it looks like the above isn't adjusting for population growth either.

>> Good Calories Bad Calories is also quite illuminating, and shows that
>> many diseases (heart disease, many cancers, dementia) are based on the high
>> amounts of sugar and refined carbohydrates in the modern diet.
>> Increasingly, Alzheimer's is considered a "diabetes of the brain", and is
>> linked to the brain's reduced capacity to absorb glucose. Fortunately,
>> there are two fuels the brain is capable of processing, glucose and ketone
>> bodies.  Ketone bodies are normally only produced during starvation or
>> diets with highly restricted carbohydrate intake, however, some foods, such
>> as goat milk and coconut oil contain medium chain triglycerides (MCTs). The
>> liver processes MCTs into ketone bodies directly. The physician Mary
>> Newport <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feyydeMFWy4> successfully used
>> coconut oil to treat her husbands pre-senile dementia and many reviewers
>> on Amazon.com
>> <http://www.amazon.com/NOW-Foods-100-32-Fluid-Ounces/product-reviews/B0019LRY8A/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewopt_srt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=helpful&reviewerType=all_reviews&formatType=all_formats&filterByStar=all_stars&pageNumber=1>
>> claim the same.
>>

> ### You may try Axxona, an MCT preparation approved by the FDA for
> treatment of AD. Beware of side effects in the form of diarrhea - the
> dosing must be escalated slowly.

Interesting, I was not aware of that product. It's interesting that a
prescription is required for something that can be found in
"over-the-counter" food.

Nice to meet you, and everyone. I am new to the extropian list (having
recently been introduced to it by John Clark on the everything list).

Jason