[ExI] [Bulk] Re: Virtual Reality is where the aliens are

spike spike66 at att.net
Wed Aug 26 16:23:16 UTC 2015

Subject: Re: [ExI] [Bulk] Re: Virtual Reality is where the aliens are

On Sat, Aug 22, 2015 at 1:03 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

>…If they actually do anything, photons do create waste heat.  The third law
applies to them as well.

### In other words: People who compute a lot inevitably change the radiation signature of the space they inhabit. …The undetectability of eaties puts very stringent limits on the likelihood of their existence…Rafał

Ja.  I worry about it too much perhaps, because every theoretical path I can imagine ends up in severe cognitive dissonance, including the one that holds that intelligent life is one part per trillion in the universe, or that we are the first intelligent life to evolve.  That is more mind-boggling to me than the notion that we are missing something fundamental in our understanding of how an advance civilization would carry itself and the observability of a distant advanced civilizations and how the third law of thermodynamics would apply to an MBrain, etc.

Rafal I just can’t get my head around the notion that we are the first ones here.  I know someone somewhere somewhen has to be first.  I can imagine the first people to cross the Bering Strait must have wondered where are all the others.  But I just can’t quite grasp the notion we are those people, the first ones to cross the Strait into advanced technology, and if we are, think of where that puts those of us special privileged life forms who are technology groksters.