[ExI] new nutrition thread

Brian Manning Delaney listsb at infinitefaculty.org
Sun Aug 30 06:29:06 UTC 2015

Bill, thanks for the thoughtful post. Agree about correlations. Yes,
people in the physical sciences have it easy! (Well, in the way you note.)

El 2015-08-28 a las 18:38, Jason Resch escribió:

>> On Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 10:04 AM, Brian Manning Delaney
>> <listsb at infinitefaculty.org <mailto:listsb at infinitefaculty.org>> wrote:
>> Take a look at some of the work here:
>>
>> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=dietary+saturated+fat+chain+length+cholesterol
>>
>> (use "Review" and "Human" filters).

> I see 14 articles using the review filter and those search terms. But none stood out as indicating long chain saturated fats were harmful. What was the particular study?

Sorry, forgot I was using custom filters.

There are several articles. One is:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22331686

I had an electronic copy but can't find it right now.

Another worth reading:

-- which focuses more on SFA.

But each individual study is far too weak to draw conclusions from. My
guess (again, it's a guess -- slightly educated, but still) is based on
reading numerous articles, some observational in humans, some dealing
with theories about mechanisms (intracellular ceramide generation, for ex.).

I feel (much more than "think") safe with the conclusion that lowish- to
medium-fat, if it can be done in a way that doesn't cause high blood
glucose, is likely healthiest for most people, otherwise higher fat
that's low in SFA, esp. longer-chain SFA.

Brian