[ExI] new nutrition thread

Jason Resch jasonresch at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 18:18:21 UTC 2015

On Sun, Aug 30, 2015 at 2:29 AM, Brian Manning Delaney <
listsb at infinitefaculty.org> wrote:

> Bill, thanks for the thoughtful post. Agree about correlations. Yes,
> people in the physical sciences have it easy! (Well, in the way you note.)
>
> El 2015-08-28 a las 18:38, Jason Resch escribió:
> >

>> On Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 10:04 AM, Brian Manning Delaney
>>> <listsb at infinitefaculty.org <mailto:listsb at infinitefaculty.org>> wrote:
>>> Take a look at some of the work here:
>>>

>>> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=dietary+saturated+fat+chain+length+cholesterol
>>>
>>> (use "Review" and "Human" filters).
>>>

> I see 14 articles using the review filter and those search terms. But none
>> stood out as indicating long chain saturated fats were harmful. What was
>> the particular study?
>>

> Sorry, forgot I was using custom filters.
>
> There are several articles. One is:
>
> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22331686

This study confirms that eating saturated fat raises HDL and LDL levels,
which is true. But what wasn't appreciated at the time of the diet-heart
hypothesis is that there are many types of LDL, and that the kind of LDL
particle that is raised by intake of saturated fat isn't one of the harmful
ones. Thus, the total increase in cholesterol (raising the protective HDL,
and raising the harmless type of LDL) should be considered as a net
improvement in coronary health.

> I had an electronic copy but can't find it right now.
>
> Another worth reading:
>
> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4475777/

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.  I am of the opinion that MCT's (medium
chain length triglycerides) are among the healthiest calorie sources
available to us, and also that PUFA are in-general less healthy than SFA.
PUFA are longer chain lengths than most SFA, so there is perhaps something
to longer chain fatty acids being progressively less healthy.

Jason