[ExI] Religious Idiocy Triumphs Over Science Yet Again

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 22:30:02 UTC 2015

On Fri, Dec 4, 2015 at 2:13 PM, William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> >…The Republican presidential candidates should be pleased. …John K Clark ​
>
>  Ehhhh… ?  Which party should be pleased?
>
> spike
>

> The antiscience party, Spike, as you well know.  bill w

I definitely agree that the GOP seems to be the anti-science party, but I
wonder if that's actually true or just a perception. I bring this up not
because I'm sympathetic toward the GOP, but because it's often the case
that politics makes strange bedfellows and that the popular image of
something, even outside politics, is quite off the mark. For instance, the
popular image of the GOP is as the frugal party, the party against the
growth of government. Yet there are plenty of studies to indicate that
Republicans are more proliferate spenders and tend to grow government
larger than their Democratic adversaries. (Reagan, for instance, grew the
government more than Carter. Bush II was a far bigger spender and grower
than Clinton. And Bush II had a Republican Congress for much of his two
terms to help along here. Yet the popular image was both these guys were
chopping the government back like they were closet anarchists.)

My guess here, too, is that there might be some more complicated pro and
anti science stuff happening here, but that some of this might be agenda
specific or faction specific. For instance, it might be that Aboriginal
concerns are more likely to fall under the Democratic Party's faction
umbrella than the GOP's -- in which case, even if the Democrats tend to be
more pro-science, they might swing the other way with this one. That's just
me speculating. I haven't looked at the case to see who's weighing in here
from the various parties.

Regards,

Dan
  Sample my Kindle books via: