[ExI] Religious Idiocy Triumphs Over Science Yet Again

spike spike66 at att.net
Sat Dec 5 17:34:57 UTC 2015

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Tara Maya
Sent: Friday, December 04, 2015 1:03 PM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Subject: Re: [ExI] Religious Idiocy Triumphs Over Science Yet Again

>…It’s bad enough when science is rejected because of irrational beliefs a few people actually believe, but it’s a whole added layer of ludicrous to reject science because of beliefs that nobody believes. And if anyone were to suggest that native Hawaiians actually can’t tell a god from a volcano, they’d be accused (rightly) of being racist idiots…Tara Maya

Again the religion thing.

Look at what has happened.  We have a native group claiming a religion-based reason for declaring a site sacred which has already had extensive investment made in that site.  Of course it is worth a ton of money.  So they come up with a theory so outlandish it defies parody, which makes it even more credible as a religion, for the more outlandish the creation myth, the more likely it was derived by a race, which makes it even more sacred, which increases its value.

Our politicians feed the beast.  Once we start down this road, it isn’t at all clear how we turn back.  Our politicians must make allegiances to religion incorporated in order to get elected.  This means we are not only stuck with this kind of garbage, it gets worse over time.

Note that if we try to identify one of the major US parties as the party of no religion, this is mistake.  It may be the party of not-christianity, but it appears to embrace nearly everything else, including these telescope-extortionists.

My proof will come with California’s high speed rail project: paying off various religious and native groups will become steadily more expensive as more track is laid.