[ExI] [Bulk] Re: [Bulk] Religious Idiocy Triumphs Over Science Yet Again

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 16:55:47 UTC 2015

On Sat, Dec 5, 2015 at 1:14 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

>>> ​>> ​
>> Trump inherited at least 40
>> ​ ​
>> million
>> ​ ​
>> from his daddy in 1974. Since 1974 ​the S&P 500 has gone up 74 fold, if
>> he had put his inheritance into a simple S&P index fund and reinvested the
>> dividends today it would be worth 3.4 billion.

> http://www.multpl.com/s-p-500-historical-prices/table/by-year
>

> Dec 4, 2015
>
> 2,091.62
>

> Jan 1, 1974
>
> 96.11
>

> A factor of about 22.  His inherited wealth would have been about 880
> million, rather than 3 to 4 billion.  Beating the stock market by a factor
> of 4 over four decades is an impressive winning streak, incompatible with
> the decription world-class ignoramus.

​Trump didn't beat the stock market, picking stocks at random would have
beaten Trump. As I said s
ince 1974 the S&P 500 has gone up 74 fold
​ not 22 fold.​ If Trump chose to go into real estate and if real estate
didn't increase in value as much as most other things then Trump made
a business error.

> ​> ​Guys whose personal wealth is primarily in the form of real estate in
> the USA are exactly the kind we want in that office:

​Trump invested heavily in Trump Castle in Atlantic City; about a year
after it opened
Trump Castle
​ filed for bankruptcy. ​
And Trump didn't just invest in real estate. Trump invested in Eastern Air
Lines, soon after that
Eastern Air Lines
​ went bankrupt. ​Trump invested in the United States Football League, but
people would much rather watch the NFL; so when he couldn't beat them in
the free market Trump went to the courts and claimed the NFL was a
monopoly. Trump won his lawsuit and got triple damages too; the jury
awarded him one dollar so with triple damages his grand total was three
dollars. Very soon after that the
United States Football League
​ went bankrupt.​

And there are plenty of billionaires in Silicon Valley that are even richer
than Trump that really are self made, and although none are as loud as
Donald I would much rather have one of them as president.

​> ​
> they are unlikely to nuke anyone

​Trump's
​nuanced ​
solution to worldwide terrorism is  “bomb the hell out of the oil fields,
​ ​
I would
​ ​
bomb the SHIT out of 'em!"

> ​> ​
> and would discourage congressional overspending.

I don't know where you get that, real estate developers have no problem
with government spending as long as the government dollars comes their way.
Both Donald and his father Fred Trump (the source of Donald's fortune) got
all sorts of government contracts and subsidies during their careers.

​> ​
> Ja I am not claiming Ted Cruz is a pleasant person or that his college
> roommate likes him.  I am claiming that world-class ignoramus doesn’t
> describe him.

Ted Cruz
​ ​
chose
​the perfect place for a world class ​ignoramus
to announce his presidential bid
​,​
at
​ ​
Jerry Falwell's
​'
 Liberty "University" where they proudly declare they don't teach Evolution
but instead teach
​ ​
“a
​
robust, Young-Earth creationist view of Earth history.”

​ John K Clark​