[ExI] Religious Idiocy Triumphs Over Science Yet Again

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 23:29:54 UTC 2015

On Sun, Dec 6, 2015 at 6:14 PM, Dan TheBookMan <danust2012 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I agree that government may not legitimately hold land, though I would,
> where practicable, return land to its former owners (where these can be
> found) rather than sell it off.
>
> Also, since government can't justly own it, then it can't really sell it.
> The only things that can be justly done here in my opinion is returning to
> former owners, offering as compensation to victims (of government), or
> allowing land to go back into an unowned state ready for someone to justly
> appropriate. (I would also stipulate that those in or working for the
> government be barred from obtaining any of this land because they are
> actually party to the takings. To allow them to make claims would be akin
> to allowing robbers to make claims over the loot -- in cases where the
> original owners of the loot can't be found.)

### Proceeds from sales could be distributed directly and outside of the
budget to all citizens. Reverting to an unowned state is not a good idea,
since we don't have a good system of just appropriation on Earth.

And yes, government employees, grantees, wards of the government, welfare
recipients, and generally anybody receiving a substantial fraction of their
income from taxes, and their dependents should not be able to purchase
government land, or vote in elections.

Rafał