[ExI] Religious Idiocy Triumphs Over Science Yet Again

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 23:43:56 UTC 2015

On Dec 6, 2558 BE, at 3:29 PM, Rafal Smigrodzki <rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Dec 6, 2015 at 6:14 PM, Dan TheBookMan <danust2012 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I agree that government may not legitimately hold land, though I would, where practicable, return land to its former owners (where these can be found) rather than sell it off.
>>
>> Also, since government can't justly own it, then it can't really sell it. The only things that can be justly done here in my opinion is returning to former owners, offering as compensation to victims (of government), or allowing land to go back into an unowned state ready for someone to justly appropriate. (I would also stipulate that those in or working for the government be barred from obtaining any of this land because they are actually party to the takings. To allow them to make claims would be akin to allowing robbers to make claims over the loot -- in cases where the original owners of the loot can't be found.)
>
> ### Proceeds from sales could be distributed directly and outside of the budget to all citizens.

Why all? Why not to those who were appropriated from, citizen or not? For instance, if the government of Ruritania took my stuff, even though I'm not, have never been, and do not plan to be a citizen of Ruritania, all else being equal, I should get my stuff back (or something equivalent). It would be just if said government took my stuff, then sold it off and gave the proceeds to its citizens.

> Reverting to an unowned state is not a good idea, since we don't have a good system of just appropriation on Earth.

Well, part of the thing would be to replace current systems with better ones, no?

> And yes, government employees, grantees, wards of the government, welfare recipients, and generally anybody receiving a substantial fraction of their income from taxes, and their dependents should not be able to purchase government land, or vote in elections.

I don't believe anyone should be voting in elections -- save maybe in self-defense.

Regards,

Dan
  Sample my Kindle books via:
http://author.to/DanUst