[ExI] Zuckerberg just bought 26 days of world peace?

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 19:32:22 UTC 2015

On Wed, Dec 9, 2015 at 2:10 PM, Adrian Tymes <atymes at gmail.com> wrote:

> Doesn't work in practice.  Existing crop types have a variety of textures,
> flavors, nutrients, and other particulars; some people like (or need)
> certain types of crops, while others eat other kinds.  A one-crop-fits-all,
> no matter how well engineered, seems impossible given the array of
> sometimes contradicting demands to feed an entire populace.

### The standard bioprocessor would have many output streams, containing a
wide variety of foodstuffs and responsive to user controls. Almost
everything we eat is transformed air and water, the bioprocessor would just
spatially separate the task of synthesizing food from the task of
collecting matter and energy needed for synthesis.

This separation would be efficient, since matter and energy needed for
synthesis are dilute and relatively uniform (sunlight and air are similar
all over) but the demand for food is concentrated and highly diversified
(people in restaurants want thousands of different things). It makes sense
to transform the dilute inputs in an easily transportable form and
synthesize the diverse outputs close to points of demand. Of course, the
bioprocessor would make not just replicas of crops - it would also output
condiments, beverages including exquisite wine vintages, meats, rare,
cooked, whatever you fancy.

John Varley's Titan, Wizard, Demon trilogy must be credited for a part of
the idea. Great books.

Rafał